Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Easy Quick Delicious Tomatillo Salsa: All Saints Tomatillo Salsa

IMG_0662This year we planted tomatillos in our garden so we could have some amazingly fresh (cheap) veggies at our disposal. One favorite is the Tomatillo. I am happy to say this little gem has been very prolific and it looks like we will have lots this year.

One of our favorites is this tomatillo salsa which I don’t have any name for so I will call it All Saints Tomatillo Salsa.

This tart, spicy as you make it salsa is amazing with chicken, steak, pork chops, grilled fish and even tortilla chips!

IMG_0666

Recipe:

  • 1lb fresh tomatillos
  • 1-2 jalapenos
  • 2 tbs minced garlic
  • 2 tsp salt or to taste

Instructions:

Remove husks from tomatillos, rinse, and pat dry and place in a sauce pan. Jalapenos: for spicy sauce add one or two whole jalapenos to the sauce pan, for mild salsa use one & remove seeds and veins first. Add about 1/4 inch of oil to the sauce pan & cover with a lid cooking over medium high. Cook, turning once at about 3 minutes, till tomatillos are transparent and slightly browned but not popping, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove tomatillos and jalapenos to a blender. Add salt to taste and garlic. Blend till creamy and delicious!

Note: do not use a food processor as the salsa will not emulsify (combine) well.

Serve hot alongside entrees like grilled chicken, pork chops, fajitas, or great cold for dips with tortilla chips.

Leftovers (if any) keep well in the fridge.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

wow! an awesome photographer and a chef. i love mexican food..i would eat that every night if i new i wouldn't weigh 400lbs.
Natalie

Aprille - The Muddled said...

Haha Natalie is that you?

I will be posting another Tomatillo salsa next time we make iy that has no fat at all and is healthy as can be! This is just the one we made last night. It is a treat, since it isn't so great for you.

The other one involves cilantro which I looove! I am also in the process of making up my own new tomatillo salsa (roasted) recipe and once I get it down that will go up too. So have no fear! Fat free will be here! Also, low cal.

Natalie said...

Hey Aprille, I just noticed I have so been mispelling your name. so sorry. i hate when people do that to me..Yes it is me the closet Mexican food lover. Well actually i am so out of the closet. My kids have been raised on beans and rice. I even think it was their first words.. Haha..No really i went into labor with hannah early and on that night i was frequenting my favorite mexican rest.