Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I ♥ Vintage


This dress... oh this dress. It makes me so happy.

That is my daughter two weeks ago on her first day of Kindergarten. She had a fabulous time that day and she was wearing the dress I wore on my first day of kindergarten right after we moved to the Netherlands in 1985. Over the years my mom saved some key pieces from my childhood for me but I thought she had given them all to me when my daughter was a baby! Mother's day this year she pulled out this sweet little number for Ella to wear (if she wanted to) on her first day. (She still has some tricks up her sleeve!) Ella's approval was immediately solidified when she discovered - it spins! It fit like a glove.

This dress brings back a flood of emotion and memories. I remember waking up in the sunny little pension before we had even moved into a house overseas, walking downstairs to a truly amazing continental breakfast - European style in my beautiful dress and seeing my sweet little teacher's smiling face the first day of school. It makes me think of my beautiful mother packing these treasures away carefully and hauling them around over oceans and within houses not nearly big enough to find storage for these, not really. It also makes me think of my own sweet girl spinning in the front yard no longer a tiny little thing curled into my arm.

I love her new funky shoes, not matching the dress but her own personal touch on the outfit. She felt confidant and ready to conquer the world that morning in that dress and those shoes. Great day, great dress, great memories!

Here are some more shots from the day... Today You Became Old. An Old Old Kindergartener.
Also can I get a high five for all of these photos being straight out of the camera with no editing!



for more nostalgia head over to the amazing I ♥ Faces site!! You want to.

2 comments:

homemakerchronicles said...

Oh, I think that dress is precious! What a cute expression on her face too! Great picture

Keri said...

I miss Ella:(